Thursday, May 19, 2011

Incomprehensibly Tough Competition

After stopping by my LGS a few days ago for what was likely my last visit, I am forced to admit that I have not given the 40k scene there the proper consideration or respect that it deserves. I now believe that my soon to be former LGS can in fact boast of having the toughest competition of any game store in the world. Need proof? Check out this sign-up sheet I spotted for an upcoming 1850 point tournament they will soon be hosting:

That's right, both Chuck Norris AND Bruce Lee have signed up to compete! Who would have ever guessed that my humble LGS would host the most epic confrontation in the history of table top gaming, if not that of all humankind? And you just know those guys are total WAACs, too. ;) I'm not sure about his skill as a 40k player but I'd say Springsteen is a lock for third place and the Players' Choice award. I mean really, who's going to give The Boss a bad sportsmanship score? (Uh, besides Julianne Philips, that is.)

Considering the dramatic rise in competition at my LGS, I am a little sad that I won't be able to play in this tournament, nor even be in attendance to witness what will surely be a battle for the ages. The reason for this is that I am officially moving to Asheville, North Carolina a mere two weeks from today... hooray! No more speculation or hopeful optimism, this time around everything has been confirmed and it's truly a done deal. We will be moving into our new place on June 2nd so unfortunately I expect that I will be too busy even for the colossal Norris v. Lee showdown scheduled for next weekend.

Preparing for my family's move to NC has been the main cause of my recent decline in blogging, as well as my overall lack of hobby time over the past two weeks. Since my previous post I've picked up my paintbrush just one other time before doing so again earlier tonight to work a little more on Captain Homer. I'd like to finish him and a few other small projects before I have to finally pack away the last of my hobby gear, though I am not terribly concerned should I end up having only a minimum of painting time for the rest of the month.

Nonetheless I will try to post at least a few more times before then. Tonight I just wanted to provide a little update on what I've been doing and to offer an explanation for my absence from the blog. I've been really busy but I am so excited about moving that it has been very much worth all the associated hassles. I hope all of you are doing quite well too, goodbye for now!

13 comments:

  1. Moving can be a big old drag but when it's done it'll be done hopefully apart from unpacking, decorating etc.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an FYI, the owners of our Hobbytown are opening up a new store somewhere in the downtown Asheville area.

    Best o' luck on the move (I can attest to the fact that moving several states away can be quite stressful).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good to hear - you must be pretty darn happy! No need for explanations. Best of luck with the preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats. Bummer you won't get to post about Lee v. Norris though. We could call it 'Fists of Furioso' or 'Enter the Dreadnaught'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck mate, Wish I could help you and yours move. Hope all goes well.

    Love Dee. (Or will I get told off?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the move. Having just moved into our new house a couple weeks ago I know exactly what you are going through. I had to take a bit of a break from hobbying and lost a lot of my drive to get stuff done but now that we are settled in to the new place I'm getting back into my groove.

    Moving always sucks, coming from a guy who has moved 16 (yes, 16!) times in the last 10 years and helped a friend move from North Carolina to Texas, but it's only a temporary setback. Things will be back to normal before you know it. Good luck with the move. I hope everything goes well and is over quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "If you roll a 6 and Chuck Norris rolls a 6. Chuck Norris still wins first turn."

    That pictures awesome and funny lol.

    Good luck on your move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on the move! It's still a long drive from/to me, but it makes the possibility of rendezvous from extremely unlikely to just unlikely. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ The Angry Lurker - Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the unpacking... oops. :) Thanks, Angry Lurker!

    @ Da Masta Cheef - No kidding? Wow, that's cool news. There must be a decent number of gamers and hobbyists to support that many stores in the area. I think this is going to be a very good change from what I've become accustomed to here in SC. Thanks, Masta Cheef!

    @ Porky - Thank you very much, Porky, I appreciate your kindness and patience. Best wishes!

    @ CounterFett- Hahaha! Thanks for the good cheer, CounterFett!

    @ Derina - Aw shucks, thanks Dee! :)

    @ Chaosheade - Thank you and congratulations to you as well. I'm glad to hear you've started to recover your hobby groove after going through your own move... I hope everything turns out wonderfully for you in your new home. Wow, you've had to move sixteen times! I think this is only my tenth time or so and I certainly do not hope to challenge your record, though. Thank you very much, Chaosheade!

    @ Drkmorals - HAHA! Very well said, thank you for the laughs. And also thank you for taking an interest in my blog, I appreciate the support. Best wishes, Drkmorals!

    @ sonsoftaurus - Right on, I'll take "unlikely" over "extremely unlikely" any day of the week... I remain optimistic. :) Thanks, sonsoftaurus!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're welcome Papa JJ. Now that we actually have our own house I don't think we will be moving again for many years, which is something I have been wanting for a long time. The new home is awesome and we'd like to keep it for a while.

    Our move was relatively painless since a lot of our stuff never got unpacked from the last move and we spread the moving out over about a week rather than loading everything up at once. It really helped that we were able to take our time. I hope your move goes smoothly and you can get back to your toys soon. Good luck and enjoy the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jovian Sunspot: Ice, 60ml/ 2 fl oz Cream of Coconut, 3 Tbsp Bottled Cranberry - Apple Juice, 2 Tbsp Vodka, 2 Tbsp Orange Juice.

    Found this in one of my old B5 core books. yes mongoose sent me 2.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I apologize for taking so long to reply, I've been out of my usual rhythm lately and have rarely had time to sit down with my computer. Nonetheless I should have popped in much sooner than now to respond. Thank you for being patient with me....

    @ Chaosheade - Congratulations on the new home, I hope it will serve you and family very well for a long time to come. We moved in on the first of June but did not have any furniture until a week later but otherwise everything has gone very well. We're slowly unpacking and settling in but have still felt very comfortable in our new surroundings. It feels very good to have the actual move behind us and can now enjoy exploring our new hometown. We're excited to be here and I am really looking forward to returning soon to my hobby activities. Thank you again, I really appreciate hearing from you!

    @ Derina- I suspect this could be a new favorite of mine.... Mmmm, delicious! That's such a cool name for a drink, too. :) Very kind of you to think of me, I hope you're doing really well. Best wishes, Derina!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Papa JJ, the new house is awesome and everything is going well. It's about 10 minutes closer to work for both me and my wife and we now have more than 4 times the space that we had before. We're both already familiar with the town having lived in or nearby before and while we still have a few things to move, it's nothing that we need right away so we're not stressing out over it. Glad to hear everything is going well for you too and I hope things continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete