Friday, January 15, 2010

Ten Weeks Out

AdeptiCon is now seventy days away, giving me ten weeks left to get my Dark Angels painted and packed. That deadline is creeping closer all the time and I have a considerable amount of boxes and sprues untouched. I really want to have them ready to go with me, but as a backup I did unpack my old generic Chaos Marines from around '04. Since they already fit into my army case everything would be taken care of and totally simplified. I'm having fun painting my Dark Angels and I don't want to rush, so my Plan B really will only be as a last resort. It will be fun to spend some time working out lists for what I have using the more current Codex: Chaos Space Marines. I anticipate getting extra painting time in the coming weeks so perhaps I'll be able to pull this off anyways.

I do also have my Tyranids that I could use, though I would prefer not to as I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs running around in the coming weeks and months. Why? The new Codex: Tyranids is released tomorrow! I've had my copy ordered for a couple weeks now so I am excited to see how Hive Fleet Hydra fares with the 5th edition book. Even though I have been reading a lot of internet chatter about the new book, I made sure to take all of it in with a bit of skepticism until I see it myself. Regardless of the changes that are inevitably coming, it really won't affect my current plans for my Tyranid army. I do not want to buy any new Tyranid models for as long as possible... ehh, with the possible exception of a Trygon. That thing may be just too amazing to pass up. Otherwise, no new Nids! Just like in the fluff, my bugs will have to adapt. This should be easier to do since I'm scaling down my army builds from 2000+ to the 1000 to 1500 point range. Also I don't want to worry about trying to figure out how to cram all of them into foam... Tetris was never really my thing.

After yet another week of diligent painting I am still not done with the Dreadnought. Turns out I significantly underestimated how long it would take to highlight the myriad hard edges on this model. Early on I started to panic a little over this extreme highlighting style that is still new to me, as well as questioning whether or not I even had the right colors picked out. I decided that I just needed to keep going with it and I'm pretty happy now that I did, although there were times when painting all those little green lines did become tedious. I still have the final layer of highlighting to do tomorrow so I am hopeful that it will all come together nicely. I've made a lot of progress on all of the non-green details, even including a freehand company badge. Not too shabby, I'd say. Once all of the painting is done I will be sure to get some pictures posted. Plus I'm happy to report that I varnished the Librarian today with Matte Sealer so he is now completely finished! And he's not too shiny either... hurrah!!! Pictures of him will be coming soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment