Saturday, February 27, 2010

Kaya the Wildborne WIP

Good news... I finished the Warpwolf today! There were just a few remaining things to address on him and so, with a little work during the day and then some more this evening, I was able to wrap everything up. That leaves just my warlock left to paint and I will have completed my Circle Orboros Warpack. I doubt that there is enough time to paint her before the start of the next month but I still feel like getting this much done is a good accomplishment for the month of February. That doesn't mean, however, that I am not going to at least try. Tonight I have therefore officially started painting Kaya the Wildborne.

I decided I would try out something a bit different with Kaya by lightly drybrushing the entire model with Bestial Brown. I was having trouble figuring out the overall color scheme that I wanted to use and thought that this would be easier for me if I could see all of the details sculpted onto the miniature. Brown seemed to be the way to go since I'll be sticking with the earth tones common to the Druids of Circles Orboros. And it's always seemed to me like gold-colored paints go on better over brown rather than black, so even the metallic areas should benefit from the brown drybrushing. Although I'm little concerned that I might have gone too heavy with the paint in certain areas, such as Kaya's abdomen, I am generally very happy with how this experiment is turning out. It really is amazing how much the details stand out now and I'm pretty sure that this will end up helping me to get her painted quickly and with less hesitation than I would normally have experienced. I didn't get much beyond this initial step tonight but you can see the results of my labor in the above WIP photo. Also it is enough to start a color guide for Kaya the Wildborne:

Undercoat: Chaos Black, Bestial Brown drybrush
Skin: 5A, Ogryn Flesh, 5B, 5C, Ogryn Flesh
Hair: 53A, 53B, 53C, Devlan Mud
Eyes: 34A, White?
Armor Plates: 41A, 41B, 41C, Thraka Green, touch-ups with 41B
Gold Edging: 36A, 36B, 36C, Devlan Mud
Pants, Vest, and Sleeves: 7A, 7B, 7C, Gryphonne Sepia
Cloak: 26A, 26B, 26C, Thraka Green
Arm Guards: 12A, 12B, 12C, Devlan Mud
Boots: 14A, 14B, 14C, Devlan Mud, multiple washes of Baal Red for the top of the boots
Straps and Tassels: 45A, 45B, 45C, Devlan Mud
Trinkets: 9A, 9B, 9C, Devlan Mud... also the Stone bits on the tassels are done like those on the base, then washed with the other trinkets
Staff: 13A, 13B, 13C, Gryphonne Sepia
Base: watered down Bestial Brown, Devlan Mud, Graveyard Earth drybrush, Kommando Khaki drybrush
Stones: 57A, 57B, 57C

No comments:

Post a Comment