Thursday, March 25, 2010

AdeptiCon Eve

AdeptiCon gets underway tomorrow and I feel like I did as a kid on Christmas Eve... well, a kid who is going bald I suppose but you know what I mean. I've already seen tables scattered all over the first floor of the hotel, but what more will I see in the morning? I'm excited about the crazy display boards and dioramas and hope to see them as they get set up, as well as the potential for some early-arriving armies. And who will I meet over the coming days? I expect many of the writers and painters whom I've followed over the will be in attendance and if I can overcome my normally shy disposition, I think it would be fun to meet some of them.

For my first trip to AdeptiCon I decided to register for as many hobby seminars as I could. Despite being the main draw for many attendees, I'm not interested in competing in any of the tournaments primarily due to my acknowledged lack of in-game experience. Besides I already know that I want to come back for future AdeptiCons so there will still be more opportunities to play. So instead I thought it would make sense this time around to learn as much as I can about the non-gaming aspects of the hobby, and meanwhile just try to take in the scope of the event and all that goes on here. Fortunately I am spoiled for choice of hobby classes and was able to book a solid weekend of seminars. Here then is my schedule for Adepticon 2010:

Thursday, March 25th
WH40k Tactics Boot Camp (8pm-9:30pm)

Friday, March 26th
Live Flesh: Painting Skin and Faces (10am-12pm)
All the Small Things: Freehand Designs (12:30pm-2:30pm)
Here We Stand: Advanced Basing Techniques (3pm-5pm)
Metallics with a Shine (8pm-10pm)
Building and Painting Historical Armies (10pm-12am)

Saturday, March 27th
Hirst Arts Terrain and Casting (10am-12pm)
Painting Monstrous Faces (12:30pm-2:30pm)
Weathering with Acrylics, Dry Pigment, and Oil Paint (3pm-5pm)
Lose the Fear: Working with Greenstuff (5:30pm-7:30pm)
Moving Forward: First Steps to Advanced Painting (8pm-12am)

Sunday, March 28th
Stepping Up Your Game: Painting to a Competition Level (10am-12pm)
Airbrushing for Figurines (12:30pm-2:30pm)

I thought I had signed up for another one on Friday, Introduction to Miniature Painting (5:30pm-7:30pm), but I just double-checked my confirmation and it was not listed. Although there are some basics things I had planned on asking about, if I'm going to miss a class I'm glad it's that one. I imagine that might also be a good time to have off as one of my best friends of the past 20+ years, DrGabe, will be getting into to Chicago that afternoon and hopefully we can get some dinner together. Already I feel rejuvenated with regards to my hobby in a way that I haven't in a long time. I'm glad to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment