Monday, March 22, 2010

Crisitunity

After careful consideration, it looks like my best option for getting to Chicago will be to drive there. I still have plenty of time to book a flight, but at this point I would just rather not. Being abused by the airlines is simply not worth it to me right now even though it would be the quickest way to get me there. But since I have the luxury of time on my side, why should I bother? My wife is okay with me taking an extra day to handle the additional travel time, so I think this will end up working out so much better for me. While I'm not thrilled by the 15+ hours that it should take me to get there, I have at least taken measures to make the drive as painless as possible and plan on splitting it into two days behind the wheel.

This means though that I will be leaving tomorrow instead of on Wednesday, and so I have a lot of packing to do! The good news is that I don't have to be nearly as careful in my packing now as I do not have to worry about the myriad airline luggage restrictions. Also this completely resolves my quandary about whether or not I should take any miniatures with me. Last week I had gotten to the point at which I was not going to take any of them onto the plane, but now I will be hitting the road with three or more army transport cases! Who knows, I might even take my painting lamp with me if I feel like it. This takes care of so much, I'm a little surprised that the possibility of driving to AdeptiCon had not occurred to me sooner.

In the meantime, there is much to be done. I need to get the car emptied out and cleaned, then get all of my gaming paraphernalia packed up and loaded. I will also be spending a good part of the day on laundry so that I can stuff a week's worth of clothing into my bag. Plus I'd like to be able to spend as much time as possible with my wife and baby today... leaving them is the one thing to which I'm not looking forward. Oh yeah, I also need to learn how to use the GPS navigation system in the car, as well as figuring out how to get music loaded onto my phone. Also I would like to go shopping to stock my wife up on groceries and whatnot to hopefully make things easier for her. So enough with this writing, I've got things to do! I'll try to post some updates over the course of the coming week, although I really have no idea what type of opportunities I will actually have for this. I'm going to be very busy once things truly get underway on Friday, but I will check in here when I can.

Right then, time to get cracking! If anybody reading this is also going to be at AdepitCon, feel free to let me know. I'm excited about getting to meet lots of new gaming friends so there's no need to be shy. Even with the tight schedule I have, I'm sure there will be time to raise a few glasses at the hotel bar... cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment