Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gorax WIP

I started work on the Gorax this past Sunday and even got to do a little sculpting to fill a gap with green stuff. The rope connecting the Gorax to his stone did not fit exactly together, it being a couple millimeters too short and left a noticeable area lacking depth and detail, so that is where I focused my attention. I'm uncomfortable with sculpting but I am satisfied with how it turned out, although that might change once it's been painted. Regardless of how it looks, though, it will have to do as I am not going back to work on it anymore.

As for the painting, at first I thought I wanted to try out a more unusual color scheme for the Gorax and decided to go with Slate Grey (32) for his body and Moss (29) for his mangy hair and fur. I quickly felt like this might not be the right way to go but continued to build highlights until I pretty much finished with those two areas. Something still seemed off about the Gorax and he just did not seem to fit in or belong when viewed with my other painted Circle Orboros minis. So Monday night I reluctantly started going back over the previously addressed areas, though this time I feel much better about his overall appearance. I'm now confident that I have the color scheme worked out and like the way he is starting to look now. If all goes well, I hope to have him wrapped up by the weekend. As with some of my other WIP posts, I'm keeping track of the paints that I've used in the following color guide. I will be updating it as I go along.

Basecoat: Chaos Black
Body: 32A, 32B, Devlan Mud?, 11A, 11B, 11C
Mangy Fur: Scorched Brown, Bestial Brown drybrush, 3 parts Bestial Brown mixed with 1 part Kommando Khaki drybrush, 3 parts Kommando Khaki mixed with 1 part Bestial Brown drybrush, Badab Black, Scorched Brown touchups
Claws: 9A, 9b, 9C, Devlan Mud
Teeth: 10A, 10B, 10C, Devlan Mud
Armor Plates: 41A, 41B, 41C, Thraka Green, touchups along edges of armor with 41A
Metal Collar: 35A, 35B, 35C, Badab Black, Devlan Mud
Straps: 45A, 45B, 45C, Devlan Mud
Eyes: 4B, Geyphonne Sepia
Big Rock: 32A, 32B, 32C, Devlan Mud
Rope:55A, 55B, 55C, Devlan Mud
Base: Bestial Brown, Devlan Mud, Graveyard Earth drybrush, Kommando Khaki drybrush
Stones: 57A, 57B, 57C
Base Edge: 34A

No comments:

Post a Comment