Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Thunder

There's a strong thunderstorm heading for me so I might not be able to get all of this posted tonight should it knock out our power or internet. Therefore please forgive me if I have to finish this up tomorrow morning. I'm writing on my laptop so I'll be able to keep this up for as long as my battery lasts, I just don't know if I'll be able to post it right away.

Today I finally decided it was time to glue the group of archers to their base. For some reason I've really enjoyed just looking at them individually and, now that I'm painiting before gluing, I get a little nervous that I'm not going to get the arrangement right and therefore hesitate. My curiosity as to how they would look together became too strong however and I went ahead and took the plunge. Below is a photo of the archers, or 'Welsh bowmen' as I have decided to refer to them in order to distinguish them from the large block of archers that I still have to paint. Despite my worries, I continue to be very happy with how this element of the HYW English army is turning out.

As for painting, I was able to get most of the metal areas finished yesterday and will do the final highlight of silver today. I've noticed some areas of junk on the blades of their weapons that I believe to be due to poor conditions when I sprayed them with the black primer. Using spray paint has been a challange me for as long as I have been using it for applying the primer coat to my miniatures. I've lived almost my entire life in areas of high humidity and I've never seemed to work out through trial and error the best time to use spray paint. There has been improvement over the years but I still worry everytime I go to prime figures that I'm going to ruin them. If I ever figure it out I'll be sure to pass along any information or tips that I manage to gather, but until then I'm certainly open to advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment