Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Lovely Iron Kingdoms Table

I don't have much time tonight for blogging as I continue to be occupied by visiting relatives. So for this week's Warmachine/Hordes post I'd like to show a picture of one of my favorite gaming tables. I saw this one at Adepticon and I have no idea who is responsible for it, although I guess it was made by someone associate with Privateer Press. It was located right next to one of their big display pieces in the ballroom where all their tournaments were held.

Okay, check it out:

Why then do I like it so much? To begin with I think it's just a really attractive table built to a high standard of craftsmanship. I wish at the time I had taken more photos of it so that I could show some closeups as the buildings and train station are all well detailed, beautiful pieces of scenery. Also the train and boxcar apparently received a similar amount of care and attention. I remember them being quite lovely.

Beyond its aesthetic appeal I appreciate that it is still a very functional wargaming table for the system for which it was created. It doesn't appear overly crowded with too many lavish terrain pieces and so it should still allow for an enjoyable, standard type of game, not one in which the table itself dominates how the game is played. While I definitely have a lot of fun playing on those specially designed, narrative-heavy tables, this one comes across to me as a top-notch, "I can play on it everyday" sort of table.

Perhaps what I like the most about the table, however, is how well it fits the background and themes of its game world. It seems to me a perfect expression of the Iron Kingdoms and very representative of that Steampunk-styled setting. Sure it would work fine for a lot of other games, but with even a glance I know where the action on the table is supposed to be taking place. I'm also impressed that this isn't conveyed by means of any overt references to in-game factions, symbols, etc. or other sorts of give-away clues.

Finally, I just think it's really neat that the table has train tracks and a train, too. I've wanted to build a table with train tracks for a long time but have not yet done so. That's a terrain feature I would like to see show up more often. Growing up my dad was into model trains so I've thought for a while it would cool to integrate a little of that into my own hobby. Maybe someday I'll get around to that... seems like it would be fun. By the way, does anyone know what scale or gauge of track works well for 28-30mm miniatures?

So that's why I think this table is so groovy. I hope everyone is having a rockin' week so far. Goodnight!

4 comments:

  1. I think that 28mm equates to 1/56, which is S scale - somewhere between 00 and 0 gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that train, has a 'Cygnar' look about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nicely done board. I could see playing 40K on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ SpeedyFrenchy - Fantastic, thank you very much for the info!

    @ Da Masta Cheef - I'm with you 100%, I think the train really makes this table exceptional. Thanks, Cheef!

    @ Thor - I think 40k would be a lot of fun to play on this table, too. It's great how 40k looks appropriate on almost any style of gaming board considering the wide diversity of planets and technologies you can imagine. With the addition of a few scatter type of terrain pieces I think this would be an awesome board to play games of Killzone as well. Malifaux, too. Very glad to hear from, Thor... thanks!

    ReplyDelete